The 2015 Utah County Republican Party Organizing Convention will be held on Saturday, April 18 at Mountain View High School. The organizing convention is where county delegates will elect new party leadership as well as address other issues.
The Utah County Organizing Convention
UCRP Leadership and State Central Committee Elections
April 18, 2015
Mountain View High School
7:30 AM: Credentialing and Candidate Exhibits Open
8:00 – 8:50 am: Central Committee Meeting – Auditorium
Approve Budget and Meeting Schedule
Training on C&B
9:15 am – 10:15 County Convention General Session – Auditorium
Invocation – Tamara Atkin
Presentation of Colors
Pledge of Allegiance – Amelia Powers
Introduction of elected officials
Adoption of Credentials Committee Report
Adoption of Rules and Agenda
Casey Voeks – Chair
Adrielle Herring – Vice Chair
Kirby Glad – Secretary
Rob Craig – Treasurer
10:30 – 11:15 am: Senate Caucuses
Election of State Central Committee (15 minutes)
Reports from Senators (30 minutes)
District 7 – B Gym – Deidre Henderson
District 11 – Elect SCC in Auditorium then proceed to Room 102 – Howard Stephenson
District 13 – Auditorium – Mark Madsen
District 14 – A Gym – Al Jackson
District 15 – New Gym – Margaret Dayton
District 16 – Wrestling Room – Curt Bramble
District 24 – Elect SCC in B gym then proceed to Room 105 – Ralph Okerlund
District 27 – Room 111 – David Hinkins
11:30 – 12:00 pm: State House Caucus
Reports from House Members (30 minutes)
District 2 – Room 105 – David Lifferth
District 6 – Room 129 – Jacob Anderegg
District 27 – Wrestling REoom – Michael Kennedy
District 48 – Stage – Keven Stratton
District 56 – Auditorium – Kay Christofferson
District 57 – Band Room – Brian Greene
District 59 – Room 102 – Val Peterson
District 60 – Room 171 – Brad Daw
District 61 – New Gym – Keith Grover
District 63 – Room 170 – Dean Sanpei
District 64 – Room 172 – Norm Thurston
District 65 – A Gym – Francis Gibson
District 66 – B Gym – Mike McKell
District 67 – Room 131 – Marc Roberts
District 68 – Room 163 – Merrill Nelson
12:15 pm: General Session Reconvenes – Auditorium
Announcement of election results
2nd round of county race ballots (if needed)
Remarks by Elected Officials
3rd round of county race ballots (if needed)
Information for County Delegates
- Plan on being at the convention from early morning until at least 1 pm.
- Bring snacks and water.
- Bring photo ID.
- Arrive early to get credentials and visit with candidates
- Central Committee Meeting (precinct chairs, VCs) 8:00 AM.
- Main Convention (all county delegates) 9:15 AM.
- Senate Caucuses (all county delegates) 10:30 AM.
- See postcard for more details.
Duties of County Delegates
- Represent your precinct by vetting and electing Party leaders and State Central Committee (SCC) representatives, and by voting on Constitution and Platform change proposals (as needed).
- Read the UCRP Platform (standard for vetting candidates)
- Attend meet the candidate events
- Attend the County Convention main session to elect County Party leadership
- Attend your Senate Caucus (part of this convention) to vote in SCC elections
- Attend your House (Legislative) District Caucus
- Vet and vote on Constitution and/or Platform change proposals (if applicable)
Meet the Candidates and Debates
- Officer Debates
- Tuesday, April 7th, 7:00 pm – Spanish Fork Fairgrounds: 475 South Main St, Spanish Fork, UT
- Thursday, April 9th, 7:00 pm – Lakeview Academy: 527 W 400 N, Saratoga Springs, UT, Gym 2
- Meet and Mingle with candidates for Party leadership and SCC (North/Central/South; choose one)
- Tuesday, April 14th. 7:00 pm – Freedom Academy: 820 N 1761 W, Provo, Secondary School Cafe
- Wednesday, April 15th, 7:00 pm – Payson City Center: 439 W Utah Avenue, Payson, Dining Hall
- Thursday, April 16th, 7:00 pm – Lincoln Academy: 1582 W 3300 N, Pleasant Grove, Cafeteria
Leadership Elections (Two-year term)
- County Party Chair Duties (UCRP Constitution, Article IV, B)
- Preside over the three governing committees (Steering, Executive, Central) and county conventions
- Serve as a member of the State Central Committee
- Direct the daily affairs of the County Party
- Act as spokesperson for the County Party outside the organization
- Ensure sound financial management of Party funds
- Be the liaison with the State Party
- County Party Vice-Chair Duties (Article IV, C)
- Serve as Vice-Chair of the three governing committees
- Serve as a member of the State Central Committee
- Assist the chair with duties and daily affairs of the Party
- Perform duties of the chair in the chair’s absence
- Perform other duties as delegated by the chair
- County Party Secretary Duties (Article IV, D)
- Serve as secretary to three governing committees
- Maintain and have custody of C&B, delegate lists, etc.
- Present minutes for approval at committee meetings
- County Party Treasurer Duties (Article IV, E)
- Propose budget
- Maintain Party checking, savings, and other financial accounts
- Reconcile those accounts
- Present a quarterly report
- Reports to the Lt. Governor’s office
State Central Committee Elections (Bylaw 3)
- State Central Committee seats are allocated to the UCRP by the URP (21 seats).
- The 21 allocated seats will be divided among Senate Districts*, according to relative Republican strength.
- The new County Party Chair and Vice-Chair are members of the SCC, by virtue of their office, which makes our total SCC representation 23.
- During the course of this convention, you will hear and vote for SCC reps in a Senate District Caucus.
Duties of SCC members (Two-year term)
- Attend quarterly SCC meetings in various locations through out the state (if you miss three meetings, you lose your seat)
- Keep up on Party issues
- Represent Utah County
- Qualified members who file a declaration of candidacy with the Party Secretary at least 14 days prior to the date of the Convention (Bylaw 6, E, 2) For qualifications please UCRP Constitution, Article II and Bylaw 6, A, 2).
- Once you have filed, additional information will be forthcoming.
NOTE: Filing period begins March 13 and ends at 5 pm on April 3. If you plan to run, you should begin campaigning as soon as possible.
Thank you for your service! We look forward to seeing you at the UCRP Organizing Convention.
*SCC allocation (below) and room assignments (click to download spreadsheet).
7 & 24
13 & 11